Reframe Work Opportunities
What have you done to find a part-time or flexible position that fits your juggle? What have employers done to reframe the work opportunity by setting things up or making accommodations that have allowed work to fit your bigger life picture? What changes could be made in your current position that would make things function better for you?
In speaking with the moms that I know, most of them have NOT found their part-time or flexible positions through job postings. They have found them through personal or professional connections or by telling everybody they know or who will listen what they are looking for. Then, they discover or learn about an opportunity through this network. This has definitely been my experience as well. A great deal of “hustle” goes into finding a part time job that fits your juggle and that fills your soul.
A JOB THAT FILLS YOUR SOUL UTILIZES YOUR GIFTS, TALENTS, EXPERIENCES, EDUCATION, AND SKILLS IN A MEANINGFUL WAY.
Even working part-time and more flexibly (vs. full-time), means that time is taken away from other things in your life. As much as moms are always trying to multitask or be in two places at once (impossible – but I have tried), something has to give.
The Right Part-Time or Flexible Position Can Be Hard to Find
When I look at part-time or flexible postings on job search engines, many of them don’t match my skill set and experience. There are jobs that logistically would fit my juggle but they aren’t soul filling – for me. As well, the pay for these positions is often not in line with what my skills, education, and abilities are worth especially considering that many part-time positions are contract or temporary positions and don’t include benefits. Sometimes these part-time positions are also for evening and week-end work, which is not ideal for our family situation. Evenings and week-ends are our family time, our meaningful time with our kiddos, and when our children are busy with their extracurricular activities.
EMPLOYERS – THERE ARE MANY MOMS WHO WOULD LOVE TO WORK PART-TIME OR MORE FLEXIBLY THAT HAVE AMAZING SKILL SETS, EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND DRIVE. THEY ARE AN OFTEN UNTAPPED VALUABLE RESOURCE! HOW CAN WE REFRAME WORK OPPORTUNITIES?
What can employers do?
Reframe Work Opportunities:
- If you are posting a part-time or flexible position, clearly state what part-time or flexible means or looks like in terms of time (For example, hours, or portion of a full-time position 0.5, 0.6 etc.).
- Consider children’s school schedules with required face-to-face hours. Children are usually in school between 8/8:30 AM – 3/3:30 PM; some schools have half days on Fridays.
- The cost and challenge of finding part-time child care may be a barrier for an amazing mom to apply to your position. If this mom can get her kids to and from school (even most days), this makes a job more appealing and logistically possible.
- As well, Mondays and Fridays are usually the days where students might not have school (due to professional days, parent teacher interviews etc.). A part-time position that requires most work time (especially face-to-face time) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays works best!
- Consider allowing all, most, or some of the work for the position to be done remotely or on a flexible schedule.
- Less time commuting means more time to be on-task!
- Moms are fantastic at taking advantage of early morning hours or time after kids are in bed to get things done.
- Use tools that allow remote collaboration (such as Google Docs) or remote meetings (such as Skype or Zoom).
What are your experiences, both successful and challenging, as an employer hiring part-time or flexible employees or as a mom who has looked for and/or found part-time or flexible employment? I would love to hear your stories!
A reframed work opportunity really is a “win win” situation for both employers and job seekers. Taking a new or different path in the part-time jungle, can lead to fantastic experiences and a fresh perspective!
It takes a village! Join “The Part-Time Jungle” community!
Check out The Part-Time Jungle Podcast – all about swinging motherhood and work!