Do you ever wonder what it’s really like to be an influencer and to be chasing likes? What really goes on behind the scenes?
My guest Carlee Krtolica is a Calgary mom of 2 girls, a blogger, content creator, social media influencer at Styled to Sparkle, and the author of the book Chasing Likes. She is also a freelance interior designer and a sommelier with her WSET (Wine and Spirit Education Trust) Level 2 Certification.
Her blog and social media are a direct reflection of her daily life with her family, home projects, outdoor adventures, global travel, fine food, wine, and spirits and so much more. Carlee wants to share what makes her life easier in the hopes that it will make your life easier too!
Listen in as we talk about:
- Chasing likes. Carlee gets real about her experience and success as an influencer.
- Knowing your limits. Carlee gives us insight into how she ‘does it all’, and it comes with knowing when, and what, to outsource.
- Following your passions. When our passion runs deep within us, that’s when we know we’re living in our purpose. Carlee shares how she continues to follow her passions in her business and tapping into her wildest dreams by writing a book.
- Living in the ‘pinch me’ moments. You know those moments in life when it almost feels surreal to have the opportunities you have? Carlee gives us insight into her favourite
Connect with Carlee:
- Instagram: @styledtosparkle https://www.instagram.com/styledtosparkle/
- Facebook: @styledtosparkle https://www.facebook.com/styledtosparkle/
- Website: https://www.styledtosparkle.com
- Book: Chasing Likes by Carlee Krtolica
Connect with Tiana and The Part-Time Jungle Community:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/parttimejungle/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/parttimejungle/
- Website: https://theparttimejungle.com
Are you thinking about being an influencer? Carlee asks, “Are you sure you want to do this?”. Being an influencer is a lot more work than you might think. There are many decisions to make about the content you are going to create in terms of what you want to share, how much you want to share, and how authentic you want to be. You need to really think about why you would want to get into this space. It might seem like you just snap some photos and get some free stuff but that is not how it works these days.
KNOWING YOUR LIMITS
“Not everything you see is real. Give yourself some grace and ask for help.”
On social media, it can appear that people have it all together, that they, themselves, are ‘doing it all’, and that their lives are perfect – almost too good to be true. Carlee gives us insight into how she ‘does it all’, and it comes with knowing when, and what, to outsource. She shares how important it is to know our limits, so that we have the time and energy to pour back into the things we love during the day; like spending time with our loved ones, working on projects that bring us joy, and filling up our own cup.
Carlee reminds us that there is no shame in asking for help to live a life that feels balanced. She shares two of her favourite ways to make her life easier:
- Instacart: Instacart is a grocery delivery company. This saves Carlee a trip to the grocery store and having to pack up her young girls.
- Sprout Society: Sprout Society is a Calgary based company that has a great variety of pre-made plant based meals that Carlee can have on hand in the fridge or freezer. Her family loves them!
Carlee loves and knows a lot about wine! She shares some of her favourites.
- Mission Hill Perpetua Chardonnay: Mission Hill is located in West Kelowna, British Columbia. Carlee recommends pairing this wine with popcorn topped with butter, truffle oil, and parmesan cheese.
- Blue Mountain Pinot Noir: Blue Mountain is located in Okanagan Falls, British Columbia.
- Nk’Mip Cellars Merlot: Nk’Mip Cellars an Indigenous owned winery located in Osoyoos, British Columbia. Carlee loves enjoying this wine with steak.
- Hello Someday Crossroads Red Blend: Hello Someday is owned by a Calgary Couple, Jim and Jaimie Love. Their grapes are sourced from vineyards near Osoyoos and their wines are made in Okanagan Falls, British Columbia. Carlee says that this wine is a crowd pleaser when paired with a charcuterie board that has sharp cheeses, meats, jams, and crackers.
FOLLOWING YOUR PASSIONS
“I’ve been able to foster my own creativity and have incredible experiences and connections with amazing people that I wouldn’t have otherwise.”
When something feels exciting, lean into that nudge. When we follow more and more of what brings us true, lasting joy, we invite more of that feeling into our lives. Carlee has built her business off her passions, and when that runs deep within us, we get to experience living in our purpose. This can and will be hard work at times, but when we’re operating a business that’s an extension of our soul, it becomes a no brainer.
LIVING IN THE ‘PINCH ME’ MOMENTS
There are moments in life that feel so surreal, we can hardly believe it’s our life. Carlee takes us through some of her biggest accomplishments, like partnering with Ikea to redo her kitchen and mudroom. And of course, these moments of joy also came with challenges too. She shares what working as an influencer and blogger is really like: the hard work, hours of content creation, and commitment (even on weekends!)
BEG, BORROW, & STEAL FROM CARLEE
- Go-to meal on a busy night: Tacos
- Favourite family activity: Hiking
- Favourite podcast: The Joe Rogan Experience
- Who Carlee would love to sit down with: Michelle Obama
Wishing you all the best with your motherhood and work juggle!